If you’re in the LA area, the Santa Monica Farmer’s Market is a definite must! It has the best variety of any market I’ve been to and is also one of the most beautiful, just overlooking the ocean in downtown Santa Monica. Here are my favorite produce items to store up on this fall!
- Strawberries: These are at the end of the season in California, but you can still get them from my favorite vendor, Harry’s Berries. Their strawberries are literally better than candy–so good that there’s always a line right when the market opens. Make sure you get there right at 8:30 to get your share and try the gaviota ones if you can.
- Dates: Dates are so versatile and a great alternative if you’re looking for a natural sugar substitute. I love to soak them and use them in baked goods, or have them as a snack if I’m looking for something really sweet. Try the honey dates from Dates by Davall!
- Fresh Herbs: Using fresh herbs adds amazing flavor and color to any recipe, so I always make sure we have basil, mint, and cilantro in the house to add to salads and dishes throughout the week. To keep them fresh, place them in the fridge in a ziplock bag with a moist paper towel, and they’ll last all week!
- Florals: If you know me well, you’ll know that I am slightly obsessed with flowers and always have some in the house 🙂 Look out for deals at the end of the market (around 1:00 pm) and mix in some lavender for a fresh touch.
- Leafy Greens: Need more greens in your diet? I like to experiment with new ones and rotate them every few weeks, like bok choy and rainbow chard. Sautee with a little olive oil and garlic, and you’re good to go!
- Local Honey: Did you know that regularly consuming local, unprocessed honey can help to relieve allergy symptoms? Try some of the orange blossom variety from any local vendor and add to chamomile or green tea as a coffee substitute.