This is my go-to lunch and during the week one of my favorite recipes when I want a quick side dish or a lighter meal!
While it might sound strange, the key to any kale salad is actually to massage it, which adds flavor and helps get rid of that bitter, tough taste of kale so that it has a consistency more like a spinach or normal salad greens. It’s definitely a bit more work, and, again, a little weird, but it makes all the difference.
Typically, I make a big batch of salad along with some lemon herb chicken and homemade rosemary croutons on Sunday night and split everything up into tupperware for lunch each day of the week, topped off with Trader Joe’s Romano Caesar Dressing. Meal prep requires a lot of work on the front end, but it’s so wonderful to grab my meals for the day each morning and go without having to worry about stopping later in the day!
- 2 bunches Tuscan or curly kale, tough stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olilve oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half (I love using multicolored ones here)
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, shaved
- ½ cup croutons
- ½ cup chicken, cooked and shredded
- Rinse kale, dry, and tear into bite-size pieces. Add olive oil and lemon juice and "massage" into kale for 4 minutes, or until tender.
- Add in all other ingredients, toss lightly, and serve with lemon garnish.